Monday, May 6, 2013

[Prologue]


This walk, this short five minute walk, would possibly be the most important walk of Sidney's life.

It was a simple walk really, a total of ten steps give or take how fast she was moving. If she was moving, but that was the thing; she wasn't moving. Her feet were planted firmly on the ground and those ten short steps didn't seem so short anymore.

Fear had taken over her body and from the looks of it wasn't letting go. It held onto her, wrapped itself around her and invaded her entire being. What she had thought was that ‘next big thing’ and more importantly ‘the right thing’ suddenly seemed so wrong.

Maybe because it is wrong.

“Syd, are planning on moving or are you just going to stand there all day with the door wide open?” a voice said from behind Sidney. It was always behind her; pushing her, showing her the way. Even if that way wasn't always the way Sidney had wanted to go, she always followed.

Turning slowly, her once tense shoulders relaxed at the sight of the slender man before her. “I was just thinking.”

“Thinking, you’re always thinking. I swear. You think too much, you know that right?” Those taunting green eyes scanned her body as the curly haired man took a slow step towards her. “I’m just surprised your head hasn't exploded from all this thinking.”

They laughed.

“I’m just… I want…I don’t know.” Sidney sighed, “Maybe I am thinking too much.”

Strong arms wrapped fully around her and began slowly pulling her back in the direction toward the house, “That’s why you have me. You don’t need to think, not anymore. I've got you. You know that right?” He kissed the side of her head. “And I’m not letting go. You better know that.”

Sidney found herself following his footsteps as the two walked back into the house. Somewhere between the bottom of the steps and the cold rush of air from the ceiling fan in the foyer, her own arms had found a way to wrap around his body and all the fear that had once held her so tightly had all but vanished.

“And you better know that I don’t want you to let me go.”

“Oh I know.” Another kiss, “Trust me, I know. Come on, let’s go back to bed. The rest of the world won’t be up for another hour.”

“You go back to bed Nathan. I have to check the mail and then I’m just going to take Church for a walk. Do some more of that thinking thing.” Sidney's hands untangled themselves from his body and stilled on his chest, “Besides, it’s nine am, there’s no reason to go back to bed.”

Nathan grinned, head dipping down to catch her lips, stealing a kiss. “But bed sounds so much nicer than yesterday’s mail and that smelly old dog.”

“Mmmh,” Sidney whimpered into his mouth, “Maybe you're right.”


1 comment:

  1. After the line "Maybe because it was wrong" end the prolouge there then start the first chapter? I need ot get my butt back in motion

    ReplyDelete